Tenants have the right to live in safe, well maintained buildings that are:
• Free from pests, leaks, mold, and other potentially hazardous conditions.
• Provided with basic services such as heat, hot water, cold water, and electricity.
• Free from harassment by the owner and the owner’s employees.
Tenants have responsibilities to their building owners and other tenants.
• They may not damage the building, intentionally or through neglect.
• Tenants are responsible for the actions of their guests.
• Tenants must respond to annual owner inquiries related to window guards and lead-based paint, and maintain smoke
and carbon monoxide detectors.
• Tenants must obey the legal terms of leases, pay rent on time, honor the rights of other tenants, and provide access for repairs.
Owners must ensure that common areas and individual apartments in their buildings are safe and well maintained in compliance with the Housing Maintenance Code (HMC) and Multiple Dwelling Law (MDL).
Among other responsibilities, owners must:
Remember, The Neighborhood Care Team is here to help. If you are one of our clients having difficulties as a tenant or one of our partner property owner, please contact us.